You never know what to expect when interviewing with a new company. Sometimes the questions they come up with can catch you off guard and sometimes they are illegal.
Laws vary from state to state but most prohibit questions about: sexual orientation or marital status, race, religion, age, health or physical disabilities, pregnancy, childcare or family and nationality.
Check out these crazy questions people have been asked in interviews. See if you can figure out which 6 aren’t simply awkward but are also unlawful.
- On a scale of 1 to 10 how weird you are?
- What do you want to be when you grow up? (When asked to any middle aged plus person especially by their junior)
- Would you like to go for drinks after we finish up the interview?
- If you were food, what type of food would you be?
- You are in a dark room with no light. You need matching socks for your interview and you have 19 grey socks and 25 black socks. What are the chances you will get a matching pair?
- Does your father tell you that you are living in sin?
- Just entertain me for five minutes, I’m not going to talk.
- What do you think of garden gnomes?
- If you could be a superhero, what power would you possess?
- What groups in high school do you think had it the best or easiest?
- What is your favorite color?
- Am I boring you?
- What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
- When are you due? (Extra awkward when you are not pregnant)
- Are you a cat person?
- Why do they make manholes round?
- If you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put in a blender, how would you get out?
- How do you weigh an elephant without using a scale?
- What year did you graduate high school?
- Who do you like best, you mom or dad?
- What would you do if you have a time machine?
- What do you like to wear when you go to work?
- Who would win a battle between a ninja and a pirate?
- If someone wrote a book about you, what would the title be?
- If Germans were the tallest people in the world, how would you prove it?
- Are you Italian?
- If I paid you in M&Ms, how many bags of M&Ms would you require?
- How would you react if you were transformed into a fish?
- If you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?
- What’s your theme song?
- Do you feel you had a normal childhood?
- What do wood and alcohol have in common?
- How often do you take your dog out for a walk?
- When do you think you'll get married?
- How many hats to you own?
- If yellow is over here, and blue is over there, where are you?
- What are five uses for staplers without staples?
- If you could only do one dance move the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Why is there fuzz on a tennis ball?
- If you could get rid of any one of the US states, which one would you get rid of and why?
- Who are you planning to vote for in the next election?
- Is there intelligent life in outer space?
- If you ordered a steak rare and it came to the table well done, what would you do?
- How do I rate as an interviewer?
- Are you still a virgin?
- Zombies have invaded Earth. Who is on your fighting team?
Aside from some wild math problems, most strange questions are designed to gauge your creativity or determine how you function under pressure. They are also used to determine a general personal profile to see if you will be a good fit for the company.
Sometimes the questions that are more offensive than odd aren’t intended that way. You don’t have to answer them but you don’t have to be rude about it either. Flip illegal questions by inquiring about relevance to the position and say it with a smile. Be calm, confident and creative in your responses and you will surely succeed.
Illegal Qustions : 6, 14, 19, 28, 33, 40, 44