Are you thinking about changing jobs? Here are some signs that it might be time.
Now that the job market is starting to make a comeback, people who have been unhappy at their current jobs are starting to consider looking for a new job. If you're not satisfied at your job, it might be time to look at your options. Even though there are still many people looking for work, already having a job gives you a leg up on the competition.
The problem is that you don't want to go through all of the effort to change jobs and discover that the grass isn't any greener anywhere else. Change is scary and for many of us, it's hard to know when it's time to leave. If you are wondering if it's time to change jobs, here are some signs to look for:
- Your relationship with your co-workers – If you were getting married soon or having a baby, would you want to invite anyone you work with to your wedding or baby shower? This is a hypothetical question, of course. The point is that if you aren't connected with your co-workers, then maybe you aren't that invested in your job anymore.
- Do you talk about your work or your company outside of work? - When you are happy with your job and feeling fulfilled at work, you can't help but talk about how excited you are about what your company is doing. If most of your conversation about work involves complaining about your boss, your co-workers or your company's policies, you might be ready for a change.
- Do you know your boss, or your company's CEO? - If you don't even know the name of the CEO of your company, and don't really care about their reasons for creating the company or their mission statements, it really can tell you a lot about how you feel about your job. A great job should make you want to know everything about the company and you should at least have a friendly relationship with your boss. If not, it might be time for greener pastures.
- How do you dress for work? - If you are starting to push the corporate dress code to its sloppiest limit, it is a sign that you have stopped caring about your professional image. In your career, the worst thing you can allow to happen is to quit and keep showing up. If you realize you have stopped caring about your job and have already quit in your mind, your attitude will show it.
- How do you view the competition? – If you shop at a competitor, or buy their products you might not be as loyal as you thought. When you love your job, you can't help but view the competition in the same way that sports fans look at rival teams. If you have lost your team spirit, you might be better off somewhere you can feel passionate about.
This isn't a quiz where there is a right or wrong answer. Only you know what will work the best for you, but if you aren't happy where you are, there is nothing wrong with looking at all of your options. Life is too short to not try to find your passion.
What do you think about changing jobs? Do you think it's better to change when you are unhappy or do you think sticking it out is a better idea? Let me know in the comments.