Are you having difficulties staying on track and attaining your career goals? Whether you're just starting out, graduating from college or making a midlife career change, if you are focused on the day-to-day rather than your goals, you'll want to read on. There are some great strategies that will help to keep you motivated and on track to a great career change.
Here are three techniques that will help you to reach your career goals:
1. Find an activity that energizes and invigorates you. This is important when you reach the time in the day when you're dragging. You might have a tough time in the morning because you're a night owl. It could be that you have trouble getting your engines started mid morning, or maybe it's the afternoon that leaves you exhausted.
If you identify an activity that re-energizes you, you won't be as likely to lose steam. For instance, yoga, running or an exercise routine might revive you. Whatever - find a way to increase your heart rate and send fresh oxygen to that brain of yours. Not only will you be refreshed, you will also be able to think more clearly and feel even more like doing your work.
2. Get help with your career change. Ask for advice or assistance from others who have made a successful career change. There is only so much you can do on your own. Of course there are some things that you will have to tackle on your own, but if there is a way for you to get help be sure to ask.
3. Keep a calendar and a very tight schedule. If you have a schedule and a well organized plan, it will help you to stay motivated and on track to reach your goals. Say you're interested in getting your CPA credential and you're in the initial planning phase of your goals; be specific about what you need to do, what resources you need and when you need to do it for the greatest success. This helps you in several different ways:
1) you always know where you're going;
2) when you complete one of the tasks you've scheduled, you celebrate;
3) you no longer need to guess about next steps - you already know what comes next.
Set your sights on success and take planned and purposeful actions. If you stay motivated and on track, you will reach your goals.