If you are in a temporary assignment and you want it to become permanent, there are few things that you can do to turn the temp job into the permanent career. Here are some tips:
- Consider every day an interview- Show up on time every day. Do your job to the best of your ability and know that you are being watched. For some employers, hiring temps is a way to see how potential employees fit with the company before offering them a full time job.
- Do your best to fit in with the office culture- Temps are easy to spot because they often look and feel like they don't really work there. If you want to make this your new career, study the office culture and do what you can to fit in. The goal here is to get rid of the aura of separateness that seems to surround most temporary workers.
- Keep a copy of your resume on hand- It is best to keep a paper copy and a digital copy of your resume with you at all times. You never know when a supervise might approach you about becoming part of their team full time.
- Make sure they know about your skills- It can be hard to let people see your talents when you are doing a temp assignment that is specialized or not fully using your talents. Look for ways that you can stand out.
- Meet people and learn about the company- Spend a little time socializing. Meet the other people in the office and get to know a little about them, the company and their role in the corporate universe. If you are keeping in mind that this is an extended job interview, it will go without saying that you will want to be professional and polite in every conversation with co-workers.
- Let them know that you are interested in permanent employment- The employer may very well assume that you are happy with your temporary assignment. So, find ways to tell them that you would be interested in working with their company on a full time basis.
Temp jobs can be a viable way to find your full time career. Keep these tips in mind and you should be able to make the transition a bit easier.
Are you looking for a new job in Logistics? Take a look at LogisticsJobSite.
By Melissa Kennedy- Melissa is a 9 year blog veteran and a freelance writer, along with helping others find the job of their dreams, she enjoys computer geekery, raising a teenager, supporting her local library, writing about herself in the third person and working on her next novel.